- FSRTC Research Brief 1: Social Support and Family Resilience Ease the Stress of Parents of Children with Complex Special Health Care Needs (2019) [New]
This brief examines the effects of three social determinants—community conditions, emotional support, and family resilience—on the mental and physical health of mothers of children with complex...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- NCEO Brief (2011 – 2019) [New]Latest: Guidance for Examining Disproportionality of Student Group Participation in Alternate Assessments (#18)
A series of brief reports examining standards, assessment, and accountability issues for students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- FSRTC Research Brief 2: Caregiver Differences Across Race and Ethnicity (2019) [New]
This brief examines caregivers’ self-reported mental, physical, or financial strain. The researchers analyzed data from the 2015 Caregiving in the U.S. survey. The purpose of this brief was to look...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- NCEO APR Snapshot Briefs (2012 – 2019) [New]Latest: 2016-2017 APR Snapshot #21: AA-AAS Participation and Performance (#21)
A series of briefs providing snapshots of the participation and performance of special education students in statewide assessments used for Elementary and Secondary Education Act(ESEA) accountability.
- TIES Center Briefs (2018 – 2019) [New]Latest: Taking the Alternate Assessment Does NOT Mean Education in a Separate Setting! (#2)
Brief series from the TIES Center, a national technical assistance center on inclusive practices and policies. Its purpose is to create sustainable changes in kindergarten-grade 8 school and...
- FSRTC Research Brief 8: Family Caregivers of Family Members with IDD Differ from Other Caregivers in the Kinds and Duration of Supports They Provide (2018)
A brief comparing caregiving experiences of family caregivers for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) with those of caregivers who responded to the Caregiving in the U.S....Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Guidance for Examining District Alternate Assessment Participation Rates (2018)
This Brief addresses important questions that arise for states as they implement federal an alternate assessment aligned to alternate achievement standards (AA-AAS) participation requirements....Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, Online
- Policy Research Brief (1999 – 2018)Latest: Employment First: An Update on National Progress
A series of briefs summarizing recent research on a range of policy issues affecting persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription
- Considerations for Developing State-Defined Alternate Diplomas for Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities (2016)
This Brief describes the criteria that must be met for a State-defined alternate diploma to meet federal requirements for inclusion in the Title I Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate (ACGR).Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Diplomas that Matter: Ensuring Equity of Opportunity for Students with Disabilities (2016)
To try to understand the diploma options available for students with disabilities, Achieve and the National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) partnered to analyze the diplomas available in each...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Lessons Learned About Assessment from Inclusion of Students with Disabilities in College and Career Ready Assessments (2016)
The new large-scale assessments rolled out by consortia and states are designed to measure student achievement of rigorous college- and career-ready (CCR) standards. Recent surveys of teachers in...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Lessons Learned About Instruction from Inclusion of Students with Disabilities in College and Career Ready Assessments (2016)
This Brief provides information and suggestions for SEAs and other technical assistance providers with challenges identified by the teachers related to college- and career-ready (CCR) standards.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- LEND Brief (2012 – 2015)Latest: ASD and Culture
A series of topical briefs informing parents, professionals in a variety of fields including education and health care, advocates, and others. Each issue discusses a different aspect of...
- Parent Spotlight (2014)Latest: Parent Spotlight on Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
A series of briefs informing parents and others about various topics, including accommodations for students with disabilities, Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and the newly adopted...
- The Characteristics of Low Performing Students on Large-Scale Assessments (NCEO Brief) (2010)
A brief reporting the findings of a longitudinal analysis of three years of student-level demographic and performance data for four states: the 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 school years. Data sets...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Trends in the Participation and Performance of Students with Disabilities (NCEO Brief) (2008)
A brief describing the results of an analysis of trends in the public reporting of state assessment results for students with disabilities. The analysis was conducted on a compilation of publicly...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCSET Information Brief (2002 – 2008) [Archived]Latest: Models of Collaboration and Cost Sharing in Transition Programming
A series of briefs examining trends and developments in secondary education and transition.
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Brief) (2007)
A brief summarizing the report, You Know that it's Got to be Dedication that I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and the Aftermath ....Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- NCSET Research to Practice Brief (2002 – 2007) [Archived]Latest: Programs and Practices for Special Education Students in Alternative Education Settings
A series of briefs guiding practitioners in improving secondary education and transition services through research.
- DD Data Brief (2001 – 2006) [Archived]Latest: Characteristics of Aging Caregivers in the NHIS-D
A series of reports describing the prevalence of and characteristics, service use and health needs of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the US civilian noninstitutionalized...
- NCSET Parent Brief (2002 – 2006) [Archived]Latest: The Role of Parents in Dropout Prevention:
Strategies that Promote Graduation and School Achievement
A series of briefs informing parents about secondary education and transition services. Produced by PACER Center in collaboration with the Institute's National Center on Secondary Education and...
- NLTS2 Data Brief (2002 – 2005) [Archived]Latest: Family Expectations and Involvement for Youth with Disabilities
A series of briefs summarizing the findings of the National Longitudinal Transition Study-2 (NLTS2), which tracked the characteristics, experiences, and achievements of a sample of 12,000...
- NCSET Issue Brief (2002 – 2005) [Archived]Latest: Putting Interagency Agreements into Action
A series of briefs examining current challenges in secondary education and transition.