Jason David Schleien Memorial Scholarship
About this scholarship
The Jason David Schleien Memorial Scholarship is provided by Stuart and Dana Schleien in remembrance and celebration of their son. Dr. Stuart Schleien served as a faculty member of the Recreation, Park and Leisure Studies program for a number of years, teaching in the area of community-based therapeutic recreation.
The scholarship will provide financial support for a minimum of one student annually to pursue activities promoting the community inclusion of individuals with disabilities, disadvantaged youth, and other underserved populations. This could take place in the fall, spring or summer. Examples of focus areas might include:
- Participating in direct services with students and participants
- Assisting in research and evaluation of inclusive outdoor recreation programs
- Developing training opportunities
- Conducting or hosting conferences and gatherings
- Assisting with courses provided cooperatively by the University of Minnesota and Wilderness Inquiry or similar program
- Recommending new or improved curricula to enhance program outcomes for diverse audiences
Students must be enrolled full-time at the University of Minnesota’s College of Education and Human Development. Upon completion of the project, the student will agree to submit a summary report to the Schleien family outlining their experiences.
Eligible students will submit a one-page proposal outlining their interests in the stated examples of areas of study and their interest in working with individuals with disabilities, disadvantaged youth, and other underserved populations.
Selection process and committee
Selection of scholarship recipients will be made by a committee within the Institute on Community Integration in consultation with the inclusive program.
Stipend amount: $3000
Submit Proposal to: Nik Fernholz, Institute on Community Integration