NCSET Research to Practice Brief: Self-Determination: Supporting Successful Transition
Part of the NCSET Research to Practice Brief series.
- Chris Bremer PhD, Mera Kachgal, Kris Schoeller
A brief outlining research on self-determination suggesting that youth with disabilities who actively direct their own lives are more likely to successfully transition into adult life. In addition, the brief addresses development of self-determination skills and student-led Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings. Also included are descriptions and contact information for several self-determination curricula and helpful Web links.
Some content is out-of-date
- April 2003
- Volume 2, Number 1
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET)
- Education practices (K12 and transition)
- Instructional strategies
- Paraprofessional and teacher development
- Transition planning
- Specific life stage
- Adolescents and young adults