Assessment (large-scale, alternate)
Large-scale assessments are tests that are given to a large student body, and include district-wide and state-wide testing. Alternate assessments are types of large-scale assessments that are used to evaluate the performance of students with disabilities who are unable to participate in general state assessments even with accommodations.
- AA-AAS Bibliography Database (2010)
An interactive database presenting a comprehensive bibliography of research-based publications on alternate assessments based on alternate achievement standards (AA-AAS), as well as work on...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Alternate Assessment Forum: Connecting into a Whole (2000) [Archived]
A report summarizing the discussion sessions during the Third Annual Alternate Assessment Forum held in 2000. One hundred thirty-five representatives from 39 states plus American Samoa participated...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Forum on Evaluating Educator Effectiveness: Critical Considerations for Including Students with Disabilities (2012)
A report summarizing the discussion at the Forum on Evaluating Educator Effectiveness held in June 2012 in Minneapolis. Thirty-six individuals representing a dozen states, four testing companies,...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- How to Develop State Guidelines for Access Assistants: Scribes, Readers, and Sign Language Interpreters (2006)
A manual offering states a tool to assist in the development or enhancement of guidelines for access assistants. Whether a state already has guidelines or is just in the process of establishing...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- IVARED Learning Module (2013)
A set of five online learning modules helping educators look at issues surrounding students who are English language learners (ELLs) with disabilities. Access to the modules is free and open to all...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Learning Opportunities for Your Child Through Alternate Assessments: Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (2007)
A guide helping parents of students with disabilities understand a new state alternate assessment allowable under No Child Left Behind. While few states are currently offering this assessment...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000)
A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Educational Outcomes YouTube Channel (2014)
A YouTube channel displaying videos created by the National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO), which works with states across the country to provide leadership to include students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Data Viewer (2009)
An interactive database allowing users to access data compiled by researchers at the Institute's National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) on students with disabilities in the U.S. educational...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSC Wiki (2016)
An extensive collection of online resources for school personnel, policymakers, and parents nationwide created by the participants in the [National Center and State Collaborative...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Parent Training & Information Center Webinar on Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (2007)
A Webinar providing information about Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (AA-MAS) to Parent Training and Information Centers & Community Parent Resource Centers....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Successfully Transitioning Away from the 2% Assessment (2014)
A Webinar for states that are transitioning away from the 2% assessment - the alternate assessment based on modified achievement standards (AA-MAS) that is being discontinued. The materials from...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Moving Your Numbers (2011 – 2012)Latest: A Synthesis of Lessons Learned: How Districts Used Assessment and Accountability to Increase Performance for Students with Disabilities as Part of District-wide Improvement
A series of resources examining how school districts can increase the performance of students with disabilities and other at-risk learners as part of whole-district reform efforts. Case studies of...
- NCEO Annual Performance Reports and State Performance Plans (2002 – 2010) [Archived]Latest: 2007-2008 State Assessment Data
A series of reports summarizing assessment data from state annual performance reports to the U.S. Department of Education.
- NCEO Brief (2011 – 2019) [New]Latest: Considerations for States Providing Materials in Braille (#19)
A series of brief reports examining standards, assessment, and accountability issues for students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO Data Analytics (2015 – 2019)Latest: Percent of ELs with Disabilities from 2013-14 to 2016-17 (#9)
An online interactive series of briefs putting the power of data in the users' hands. View, compare, and read briefs driven by data.
- NCEO Minnesota Assessment Project Reports (1996 – 2000) [Archived]Latest: Student Perspectives on the Use of Accommodations on Large-scale Assessments (#35)
A series of reports summarizing the findings of the Minnesota Assessment Project, a four-year, federally funded effort awarded to the Minnesota Department of Children, Families and Learning (now...
- NCEO Newsletter (2013 – 2019) [New]Latest: NCEO Newsletter: October 2019 issue
An e-newsletter from the Institute's National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) highlighting its recent publications and new and ongoing research findings. Past issues are listed under...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription
- NCEO Policy Directions (1994 – 2015)Latest: Considerations When Including Students with Disabilities in Test Security Policies (#23)
A report series addressing national policy issues related to standards, assessments, and students with disabilities for researchers and policymakers.
- NCEO Reports (2016 – 2019) [New]Latest: A Summary of the Research on Effects of Test Accommodations: 2015-2016 (#412)
A series of reports examining assessment and standards and accountability issues as they pertain to students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO State Surveys (1992 – 2017)Latest: 2016 Survey of States: State Activities Amid Evolving Educational Policies
A series of reports summarizing results of surveys of state directors of special education in relation to students with disabilities and standards-based reform.
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports (2006 – 2012)Latest: Developing and Researching an Accessible Reading Assessment for Students with Disabilities
A series of reports examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.