Accommodations and supports
Accommodations and supports, in this context, are changes made to classroom and testing materials and procedures to help students with disabilities learn and participate in large-scale assessments on a level playing field with students without disabilities. See same topic in Education practices (K12 and transition) and Employment and postsecondary education.
- How to Develop State Guidelines for Access Assistants: Scribes, Readers, and Sign Language Interpreters (2006)
A manual offering states a tool to assist in the development or enhancement of guidelines for access assistants. Whether a state already has guidelines or is just in the process of establishing...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- IVARED Learning Module (2013)
A set of five online learning modules helping educators look at issues surrounding students who are English language learners (ELLs) with disabilities. Access to the modules is free and open to all...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000)
A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Educational Outcomes YouTube Channel (2014)
A YouTube channel displaying videos created by the National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO), which works with states across the country to provide leadership to include students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) [Archived]
A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Data Viewer (2009)
An interactive database allowing users to access data compiled by researchers at the Institute's National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) on students with disabilities in the U.S. educational...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Parent Training & Information Center Webinar on Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (2007)
A Webinar providing information about Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (AA-MAS) to Parent Training and Information Centers & Community Parent Resource Centers....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Role of the Paraprofessional (2002) [Archived]
A curriculum introducing the unique needs and learning styles of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders to help paraprofessionals and other educators best meet the needs of these individuals....Cost: $15.00 - $25.00 Delivery format: Print
- NCEO Brief (2011 – 2019) [New]Latest: Considerations for States Providing Materials in Braille (#19)
A series of brief reports examining standards, assessment, and accountability issues for students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO Minnesota Assessment Project Reports (1996 – 2000) [Archived]Latest: Student Perspectives on the Use of Accommodations on Large-scale Assessments (#35)
A series of reports summarizing the findings of the Minnesota Assessment Project, a four-year, federally funded effort awarded to the Minnesota Department of Children, Families and Learning (now...
- NCEO Policy Directions (1994 – 2015)Latest: Considerations When Including Students with Disabilities in Test Security Policies (#23)
A report series addressing national policy issues related to standards, assessments, and students with disabilities for researchers and policymakers.
- NCEO State Surveys (1992 – 2017)Latest: 2016 Survey of States: State Activities Amid Evolving Educational Policies
A series of reports summarizing results of surveys of state directors of special education in relation to students with disabilities and standards-based reform.
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports (2006 – 2012)Latest: Developing and Researching an Accessible Reading Assessment for Students with Disabilities
A series of reports examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.