Workforce development strategies
The Institute addresses strategies and interventions to help employers find, hire, and retain high quality direct support professionals and frontline supervisors.
- ANCOR/RTC Realistic Job Preview (2017)
A video illustrating the real, everyday work of direct support professionals (DSPs) in the field of developmental disabilities. This job preview is a DSP recruitment strategy designed to give...
- DirectCourse (2004)
Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....
- Final Report: National Training Institute for Frontline Supervisors (2007) [Archived]
A report describing a project that refined, tested, and delivered a "Train-the-Trainer" model to the National Training Institute for Frontline Supervisors. The project also provided a distributed...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Find, Choose and Keep Great DSPs (2006)
A pair of easy-to-use toolkits helping families and people with disabilities find quality, caring, and committeed Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). There are two different versions of the...Cost: Free - $30.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Frontline Supervisor Assessment (2013)
A test helping frontline supervisors and frontline supervisor candidates to evaluate their current performance level and create a self-development plan. Known as the Frontline Supervisor...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Supervisor Structured Behavioral Interview Questions (2013)
A set of behavioral and situational interview questions gauging the knowledge of external frontline supervisor candidates about the 11 competencies identified in the National Frontline Supervisor...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Brief) (2007)
A brief summarizing the report, You Know that it's Got to be Dedication that I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and the Aftermath ....Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (film) (2007)
A documentary film telling the stories of some of the heroic Direct Support Professionals from New Orleans who, despite long hours, low pay, and tremendous stress and trauma, continued to provide...Cost: $19.99 Delivery format: Online
- National Frontline Supervisor Competencies (2013)
A nationally validated set of 11 competency areas, known as the National Frontline Supervisor Competencies, guiding the work of frontline supervisors in the direct support workforce.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Validation Study of Competencies For Frontline Supervisors and Direct Support Professionals (2007)
A report examining organizational workforce outcomes; characteristics of and differences between managers, Frontline Supervisors (FLS) and Direct Support Professionals (DSPs); and workplace...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Quality Mall (2004)
An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Staff Recruitment, Retention, & Training Strategies for Community Human Services Organizations (2012) [Archived]
A 15-chapter textbook and how-to-guide helping organizations to select and implement strategies that address the challenges of recruiting, retaining, and training Direct Support Professionals.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (RISP) Website (2018)
A website presenting the Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities project (RISP), which gathers,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- We Get It Done: Working as a Direct Support Professional (2007)
A video about and for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) -- service professionals entrusted with the immense responsibility of assisting people with intellectual and other developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- You Know That it's Got to be Dedication That I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and Aftermath (2007)
A report describing the experiences of Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) who worked in New Orleans between August 2005 and May 2006 - before, during, and after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Initiative (1996 – 2018)Latest: The Changing Roles of the Direct Support Professional
This newsletter covers the issues important to direct support professionals and supervisors who support people with IDD and other disabilities in a variety of community settings.Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription
- Frontline Initiative Webinar: NADSP Looks Deeper (2018)Latest: Choice, Direction, and Control
A webinar companion series to each issue of Frontline Initiative , where a contributing author to the issue is interviewed by staff from the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals...
- Impact (2000 – 2019) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on Inclusive Education for K-8 Students with the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities
A newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription
- Partnerships for Success - Curricula for Supervisors, Managers, and Administrative Staff (2001) [Archived]Latest: The Peer Empowerment Program (PEP): A Complete Toolkit for Planning and Implementing Mentoring Programs Within Community-Based Human Services Organizations
A three-part curriculum series preparing frontline supervisors to successfully recruit, train, and retain Direct Support staff. The materials have been developed to be facilitated by staff trainers...