- A Guide to Educational Acronyms: What's in the Alphabet Soup? (2012)
A resource guide providing a glossary of the "alphabet soup" of educational acronyms. NCEO developed this "acronym handbook" as a resource to define, clarify, or remind anyone involved legislative...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- A State Guide to the Development of Universally Designed Assessments (2006)
A resource guide describing universal design for assessments -- an approach to educational assessment based on principles of accessibility for a wide variety of end users. Elements of universal...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Assessment Principles and Guidelines for ELLs with Disabilities (2013)
A report detailing the work of an Institute project called Improving the Validity of Assessment Results for English Language Learners with Disabilities (IVARED) that has identified essential...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Audio Support Guidelines for Accessible Assessments: Insights From Cognitive Labs (2014)
A report examining how some students, including students with print disabilities, students with low vision, and English language learners, may benefit from having test content read aloud. However,...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Developing and Improving Modified Achievement Level Descriptors: Rationale, Procedures, and Tools (2010)
A report providing a rationale, procedures, and tools to develop and continuously improve alternate assessments based on modified achievement standards (AA-MAS) achievement level descriptors...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Lessons Learned in Federally Funded Projects that Can Improve the Instruction and Assessment of Low Performing Students with Disabilities (2013)
A report detailing the work of researchers from projects funded by the U.S. Department of Education in 2006-2007 under three funding sources (General Supervision Enhancement Grants, Enhanced...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Meeting the Needs of Special Education Students: Recommendations for the Race-to-the-Top Consortia and States (2011)
A report identifying several actions for the Race to the Top assessment consortia to take to meet the needs of special education students. The actions are consistent with standards and principles...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000)
A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Universal Design Online Manual (2006)
A tool outlining steps that states can take to ensure universal design of assessments. The recommendations can be used for both computer and paper-based assessments. The authors recommend that...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Limited English Proficiency Projects Reports (2001 – 2009) [Archived]Latest: Grade-Level Standards-Based Science Outcomes for English Language Learners and Language Minority Students - A Review of the Literature (#6)
A series of reports examining data on standards-based reform and students with disabilities who have limited English proficiency.
- NCEO Reports (2016 – 2019) [New]Latest: A Summary of the Research on Effects of Test Accommodations: 2015-2016 (#412)
A series of reports examining assessment and standards and accountability issues as they pertain to students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO Synthesis Reports (1991 – 2015)Latest: Science Alternate Assessments based on Alternate Achievement Standards (AA-AAS) During School Year 2014-2015 (#99)
A series of reports examining assessment and accommodations policies and practices in relation to students with disabilities. It is especially of use to policymakers.