National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO)
Provides national leadership in designing and building educational assessments and accountability systems that appropriately monitor educational results for all students, including students with disabilities and students who are English learners (ELs). NCEO has a rich set of reports and other publications on a range of topics related to educational outcomes of students. It receives funding from the federal government, states, and several other organizations.
NCEO is a center within ICI.
- NCEO website :: nceo.info
- Director :: Martha L Thurlow
- Contact :: Martha L Thurlow, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 612-624-4826
- Funder :: Research to Practice Division, Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education
- Moving Your Numbers (2011 – 2012)Latest: A Synthesis of Lessons Learned: How Districts Used Assessment and Accountability to Increase Performance for Students with Disabilities as Part of District-wide Improvement
A series of resources examining how school districts can increase the performance of students with disabilities and other at-risk learners as part of whole-district reform efforts. Case studies of...
- NARAP Reports (2006 – 2009) [Archived]Latest: Accessibility Principles for Reading Assessments
A series of reports from the National Accessible Reading Assessment Projects (NARAP) examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.
- NCEO Annual Performance Reports and State Performance Plans (2002 – 2010) [Archived]Latest: 2007-2008 State Assessment Data
A series of reports summarizing assessment data from state annual performance reports to the U.S. Department of Education.
- NCEO APR Snapshot Briefs (2012 – 2019) [New]Latest: 2016-2017 APR Snapshot #21: AA-AAS Participation and Performance (#21)
A series of briefs providing snapshots of the participation and performance of special education students in statewide assessments used for Elementary and Secondary Education Act(ESEA) accountability.
- NCEO Brief (2011 – 2019) [New]Latest: Revisiting Expectations for Students with Disabilities (#17)
A series of brief reports examining standards, assessment, and accountability issues for students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO Classroom-Based Assessment Project (1999 – 2001) [Archived]Latest: Using a Curriculum-Based Instructional Management System to Enhance Math Achievement in Urban Schools
The Classroom-Based Assessment Project was a project at the National Center on Educational Outcomes.
- NCEO Data Analytics (2015 – 2019) [New]Latest: Percent of ELs with Disabilities from 2013-14 to 2016-17 (#9)
An online interactive series of briefs putting the power of data in the users' hands. View, compare, and read briefs driven by data.
- NCEO English Language Learners (ELLs) with Disabilities Reports (2004 – 2008) [Archived]Latest: Middle School Principals' Perspectives on Academic Standards-Based Instruction and Programming for English Language Learners with Disabilities (#22)
A series of reports examining standards-based reform in relation to English Language Learners (ELLS) with disabilities.
- NCEO Limited English Proficiency Projects Reports (2001 – 2009) [Archived]Latest: Grade-Level Standards-Based Science Outcomes for English Language Learners and Language Minority Students - A Review of the Literature (#6)
A series of reports examining data on standards-based reform and students with disabilities who have limited English proficiency.
- NCEO Minnesota Assessment Project Reports (1996 – 2000) [Archived]Latest: Student Perspectives on the Use of Accommodations on Large-scale Assessments (#35)
A series of reports summarizing the findings of the Minnesota Assessment Project, a four-year, federally funded effort awarded to the Minnesota Department of Children, Families and Learning (now...
- NCEO Newsletter (2013 – 2019) [New]Latest: June 2019 issue
An e-newsletter from the Institute's National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) highlighting its recent publications and new and ongoing research findings. Past issues are listed under...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription
- NCEO Out-of-Level Testing Project Reports (2000 – 2004) [Archived]Latest: Educators' Opinions About Out-of-Level Testing: Moving Beyond Perceptions (#15)
A series of reports examining past out-of-level testing state policies.
- NCEO Policy Directions (1994 – 2015)Latest: Considerations When Including Students with Disabilities in Test Security Policies (#23)
A report series addressing national policy issues related to standards, assessments, and students with disabilities for researchers and policymakers.
- NCEO Reports (2016 – 2019) [New]Latest: Students with Disabilities in Educational Policy, Practice, and Professional Judgment: What Should We Expect? (#413)
A series of reports examining assessment and standards and accountability issues as they pertain to students with disabilities, English learners, and English learners with disabilities.
- NCEO State Surveys (1992 – 2017)Latest: 2016 Survey of States: State Activities Amid Evolving Educational Policies
A series of reports summarizing results of surveys of state directors of special education in relation to students with disabilities and standards-based reform.
- NCEO Synthesis Reports (1991 – 2015)Latest: Science Alternate Assessments based on Alternate Achievement Standards (AA-AAS) During School Year 2014-2015 (#99)
A series of reports examining assessment and accommodations policies and practices in relation to students with disabilities. It is especially of use to policymakers.
- NCEO Technical Reports (1991 – 2015) [Archived]Latest: 2012-13 Publicly Reported Assessment Results for Students with Disabilities and ELLs with Disabilities (#70)
A series of reports summarizing findings for policymakers, researchers and educators that focuses on assessment, accommodations, and accountability in relation to students with disabilities.
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports (2006 – 2012)Latest: Developing and Researching an Accessible Reading Assessment for Students with Disabilities
A series of reports examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.
- Parent Spotlight (2014)Latest: Parent Spotlight on Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
A series of briefs informing parents and others about various topics, including accommodations for students with disabilities, Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and the newly adopted...
- TARA Reports (2009) [Archived]Latest: Students with Visual Impairments and Assistive Technology: Results from a Cognitive Interview Study in Five States
A series of reports from the Technology Assisted Reading Assessment (TARA) examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.