Accountability, in the context of education, typically refers to school professionals taking responsibility for the performance of students on achievement tests or other types of educational outcomes (e.g., graduation rates).
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- Moving Your Numbers: A Synthesis of Lessons Learned: How Districts Used Assessment and Accountability to Increase Performance for Students with Disabilities as Part of District-wide Improvement (2012) A guide summarizing the lessons learned by school districts profiled in the Moving Your Numbers series. Moving Your Numbers features the work of ten districts with varying demographics that...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000) A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO English Language Learners (ELLs) with Disabilities Reports: 2000-2001 Participation and Performance of English Language Learners with Disabilities on Minnesota Standards-based Assessments (#4) (2004) [Archived]This year 2004 report analyzes the performance of English learners with disabilities on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments for 2000-2001, in grades 3 and 5.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCEO English Language Learners (ELLs) with Disabilities Reports: Graduation Exam Participation and Performance (1999-2000) of English Language Learners with Disabilities (#2) (2005) [Archived]This year 2005 report examines the participation and performance of English learners with disabilities on Minnesota's Basic Standards Test in 1999-2000.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCEO Limited English Proficiency Projects Reports: The Effects of a Simplified English Language Dictionary on a Reading Test (#1) (2001) [Archived]This year 2001 report examines the performance of Hmong background English learners using a monolingual English dictionary accommodation on a reading test.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Newsletter: June 2014 issue (2014) An issue highlighting some of NCEO's recent work on the survey of states which will be sent in the fall of 2014, the transition from the alternate assessment based on modified achievement standards...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Newsletter: October 2014 issue (2014) An issue highlighting the launching of the 2014 NCEO Survey of States, summaries of two new reports on accommodations on English language proficiency assessments for low-incidence disabilities, and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Synthesis Reports: Accommodations: Results of a Survey of Alabama Special Education Teachers (#81) (2010) A report containing the findings from a survey of 2,336 special education teachers in the state of Alabama on making and implementing decisions about accommodations. A number of areas of strength...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCEO Technical Reports: Accountability Systems and Counting Students with Disabilities (#29) (2000) [Archived]A report examining the extent to which students with disabilities were included in accountability systems of states in which there were high stakes for educational systems. This was the first such...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCEO Technical Reports: Good News and Bad News in Disaggregated Subgroup Reporting to the Public on 2005-2006 Assessment Results (#52) (2008) A report analyzing the public reporting of disaggregated data for students with disabilities by the National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO). This analysis, which is the 10th done by NCEO, is...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCSET Issue Brief: Students with Disabilities who Drop Out of School: Implications for Policy and Practice (2002) A brief that uses research-based information defining the problem of an unacceptably high dropout rate for students with disabilities and articulates proven intervention strategies. The brief...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports: Accessible Reading Assessments for Students with Disabilities: The Role of Cognitive, Grammatical, Lexical, and Textual/Visual Features (2010) A study examining the characteristics of reading test items that may differentially impede the performance of students with disabilities. By examining the relationship between select item features...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports: Cognitive and Achievement Differences Between Students with Divergent Reading and Oral Comprehension Skills: Implications for Accessible Reading Assessment Research (2010) A study examining the question, "Are there any analysis of the Woodcock-Johnson III Battery (WJ III) data that might shed light on learner characteristics that differentiate students whose measured...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports: Examining Differential Item Functioning in Reading Assessments for Students With Disabilities (2007) A report examining group differences between students with disabilities and students without disabilities using differential item functioning (DIF) analyses in a high-stakes reading assessment....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports: State Accommodations Policies: Implications for the Assessment of Reading (2006) A report presenting the results of an analysis of the accommodations that are included in state accommodations policies and guidelines. The purpose of the analysis was to learn more about 10...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports: What Do State Reading Test Specifications Specify? (2007) A report examining state assessment blueprints or test specifications for state reading assessments. The No Child Left Behind Act requires all states to assess student reading, but each state is...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Moving Your Numbers (2011 – 2012) Latest: A Synthesis of Lessons Learned: How Districts Used Assessment and Accountability to Increase Performance for Students with Disabilities as Part of District-wide ImprovementA series of resources examining how school districts can increase the performance of students with disabilities and other at-risk learners as part of whole-district reform efforts. Case studies of...
- NCEO Annual Performance Reports and State Performance Plans (2002 – 2010) [Archived]Latest: 2007-2008 State Assessment DataA series of reports summarizing assessment data from state annual performance reports to the U.S. Department of Education.
- NCEO Brief (2011 – 2018) Latest: Students with Disabilities and Chronic Absenteeism (#15)A series of briefs for the Race to the Top Assessment Consortia, addressing the opportunities, resources, and challenges that cross-state collaborative assessment efforts face as they include...
- NCEO Data Analytics (2015 – 2018) [New]Latest: State Assessment Participation and Performance of Students with IEPs, 2015-2016An online interactive series of briefs putting the power of data in the users' hands. View, compare, and read briefs driven by data.
- NCEO Policy Directions (1994 – 2015) Latest: Considerations When Including Students with Disabilities in Test Security Policies (#23)A report series addressing national policy issues related to standards, assessments, and students with disabilities for researchers and policymakers.
- NCEO State Surveys (1992 – 2017) Latest: 2016 Survey of States: State Activities Amid Evolving Educational PoliciesA series of reports summarizing results of surveys of state directors of special education in relation to students with disabilities and standards-based reform.
- PARA Accessible Reading Assessment Reports (2006 – 2012) Latest: Developing and Researching an Accessible Reading Assessment for Students with DisabilitiesA series of reports examining the accessibility of reading assessments in relation to students with disabilities.