The judicial system, as addressed by the Institute, encompasses assurances that youth and adults with disabilities are appropriately served through the system of law courts that administer justice and constitute the judicial branch of government.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- A Better Path, A Better Future: Three Federally-Funded Projects Supporting Community Reentry of Youth with Disabilities Leaving Juvenile Justice Facilities (2017) [New]A report describing three innovative projects that have developed strategies for improving the reentry of youth with disabilities from juvenile justice facilities into school, community,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on the ADA and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2015) A newsletter issue marking the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In this Impact are articles by individuals with disabilities, families, advocates, service providers...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on the Justice System and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2017) An issue in the Impact series that discusses unique and serious challenges people with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities often face with the juvenile and criminal justice systems.Cost: Free - $5.00 Delivery format: Online, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Violence Against Women with Developmental or Other Disabilities (2000) [Archived]A newsletter issue examining violence as it impacts women with developmental and other disabilities - what we know, what we don't know, and what needs to be done to prevent it and to help women...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A pair of videos and an accompanying brief outlining how people with intellectual and developmental disabilities face...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Issue Brief: Youth with Disabilities in the Juvenile Justice System: Prevention and Intervention Strategies (2005) A brief providing proactive solutions to juvenile delinquency problems of all youth, including those with disabilities, involved in the juvenile justice system. In particular, the brief focuses on...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Policy Research Brief: The Inclusion of Disability as Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights in State Codes (2006) A brief examining state policies regarding termination of parental rights, focusing on the extent to which states use disability status as grounds for termination.Cost: Free - $3.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice (2016) Latest: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilitiesA series of videos and accompanying briefs that grew out of the National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice working meeting held in Washington, DC, in 2015. Participants summarized the current...