Health and wellness
Health and wellness, as addressed at the Institute, are ways foster the health and well-being of people with disabilities.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- DD Data Brief: Characteristics of Aging Caregivers in the NHIS-D (2006) A brief summarizing findings from the National Health Interview Survey Disability Supplement conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, National Center on Health Statistics in 1994 and 1995. It...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Sexuality and People with Intellectual, Developmental and Other Disabilities (2010) A newsletter issue exploring the question "What does it mean to affirm and support a positive, healthy sexuality for individuals with disabilities?" Its articles cover topics ranging from sexuality...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting the Social Well-Being of Children and Youth with Disabilities (2011) A newsletter issue presenting practical and insightful articles about supporting the social well-being of children and youth with intellectual, developmental and other disabilities in the settings...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting Wellness for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2016) A newsletter issue on supporting wellness for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Wellness is a rapidly growing area of focus for people across the U.S. The popularity of...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Violence Against Women with Developmental or Other Disabilities (2000) [Archived]A newsletter issue examining violence as it impacts women with developmental and other disabilities - what we know, what we don't know, and what needs to be done to prevent it and to help women...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- LEND Fact Sheet: Promotion of Healthy Relationships and Sexuality for Individuals with Disabilities (2013) A fact sheet promoting healthy relationships and debunking myths about sex among individuals with disabilities. The fact sheet provides background information, facts, and resources. It also...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- LEND Webinars: Great Lakes LEND Collaborative/MN LEND Life Course Forum (2011) A Webinar presenting Life Course Theory, which provides a broad view of looking at health and wellness. There is a complex interplay between biology, behavior, emotions, socialization, and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: Work is Worth the Risk: Balancing Opportunity and Safety (#4) (2016) A video acknowledging that balancing health and safety with successful employment activities is not always easy. Incorporating accommodations and customizing work tasks and settings is critical in...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Health and Wellness for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A video and an accompanying brief outlining health and Wellness for people with intellectual and developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Partnerships in Wellness (2017) A health promotion curriculum that addresses the unique learning needs of adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (IDD) who require ongoing daily supports, have limited readings...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, PPT
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Self-Advocacy Online (2012) A multimedia resource providing information important to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that is accessible to all. The content is translated into understandable language...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- State of the Science: Theories, Concepts, and Evidence Guiding Policy and Practice in Community Living and Participation for People with Intellectual Disabilities (2013) A set of online video presentations from the July 2012 conference, State of the Science: Outcomes for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Experts in...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Print subscription, Email subscription
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice (2016) Latest: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilitiesA series of videos and accompanying briefs that grew out of the National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice working meeting held in Washington, DC, in 2015. Participants summarized the current...