Emergency/disaster preparedness, as addressed by the Institute, is a set of strategies for communities, organizations, families, and individuals to better prepare for emergencies such that people with disabilities and those who care for them are protected.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Coping with Disaster (2003) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals offering various perspectives on effectively supporting individuals with disabilities as they cope with disaster and its aftermath.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Brief) (2007) A brief summarizing the report, *You Know that it's Got to be Dedication that I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and the...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (film) (2007) A documentary film telling the stories of some of the heroic Direct Support Professionals from New Orleans who, despite long hours, low pay, and tremendous stress and trauma, continued to provide...Cost: $19.99 Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Disaster Preparedness and People with Disabilities (2007) [Archived]A newsletter issue addressing the need for greater inclusion of people with disabilities in disaster preparedness, response, and recovery efforts. When disasters occur people with disabilities are...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Print, Online, PDF
- NASDDDS Emergency Planning for Developmental Disabilities Services Self-Assessment Instrument Website (2006) A website presenting a tool that assists state developmental disabilities officials to evaluate how well their preparedness plans address the needs of people with intellectual and developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- You Know That it's Got to be Dedication That I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and Aftermath (2007) A report describing the experiences of Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) who worked in New Orleans between August 2005 and May 2006 - before, during, and after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact (2000 – 2018) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription