Work-based learning offers youth and adults with disabilities meaningful and engaging educational opportunities by connecting classroom learning to learning on job sites in the community, such as with internships, workplace mentoring, service learning, and other strategies.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- Expanding the Circle (ETC) Website (2010) A website presenting Expanding the Circle (ETC), an ICI project that delivers a curriculum offering culturally-relevant activities to facilitate the successful transition from high school to...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print, Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Fact Sheets: Everyone has "Supports" at Work (2016) A fact sheet presenting the basic ideas, next steps, and resources useful for people with disabilities who want to find support at work to help them succeed on the job.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: I Choose Employment (#1) (2016) A video designed to raise expectations for full workforce participation - that work can be a reality for anyone. The target audiences are self-advocates and families.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Essential Tools: Handbook for Implementing a Comprehensive Work-Based Learning Program According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (2005) [Archived]A manual with information and examples for school personnel to operate effective work-based learning programs consistent with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Sample forms, agreements, and...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, Online
- NCSET Essential Tools: In Their Own Words - Employer Perspectives on Youth with Disabilities in the Workplace (2004) A resource guide designed to help educators, transition specialists, workforce development professionals, family members, and youth to understand employers' needs, circumstances, and perspectives...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, Online
- NCSET Issue Brief: Connecting Employers, Schools, and Youth Through Intermediaries (2002) A brief, written for secondary educators, employers, and disability service providers, addressing the primary issues in promoting the participation of employers in work-based learning experiences...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- NCSET Issue Brief: Quality Work-Based Learning and Postschool Employment Success (2003) A brief highlighting the benefits of work-based learning for youth with disabilities and outlines the elements of quality work-based learning. In addition, the brief provides selected...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription