Employment and workforce development
Employment and workforce development of people with disabilities, as addressed by the Institute, is best achieved through helping job seekers obtain a quality education, training, job recruitment, and job placement.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- Career Planning Begins with Assessment: A Guide for Professionals Serving Youth with Educational and Career Development Challenges (2005) [Archived]A guide providing adults who work with youth with disabilities a solid understanding of the purpose, benefits, and limitations of assessment in relation to those youth and the workforce development...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Charting the Course: Supporting the Career Development of Youth with Learning Disabilities (2010) A guide helping practitioners, administrators, and policymakers in secondary and postsecondary education programs, transition programs, One-Stop Career Centers, youth employment programs, and...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Connecting to Success: Mentoring Through Technology to Promote Student Achievement (2003) [Archived]An e-mentoring manual facilitating meaningful mentoring experiences by combining the well-developed concept of mentoring with e-mail to connect caring adults in the business community with students...Cost: Free - $20.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Employment Supports (2010) A newsletter issue highlighting the roles Direct Support Professionals play in supporting people with disabilities to find and keep satisfying employment.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- FYI Monthly from the Institute on Community Integration: February 2018 (2018) [New]The February 2018 contains feature stories about the March screening of Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis; a MNLEND...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- FYI Monthly from the Institute on Community Integration: January 2018 (2018) The January 2018 issue of FYI contains feature stories about MNLEND Fellows helping to improve service delivery to young students with autism in the Minneapolis schools; ICI's Systems Improvement...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Employment and Women with Disabilities (2008) A newsletter issue that encourages readers to hold an expansive vision of what's possible for women with disabilities in the employment arena, and offers strategies, resources, and inspiration to...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting New Career Paths for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2012) A newsletter issue exploring employment of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and their changing role in the American workforce. Historically, people with disabilities have...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: Employment Policy: How Does That Work? (#2) (2016) A video following a question-and-answer format, in plain and simple language from self-advocates and policy staff about changes in employment policy and services. The target audiences are...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: I Choose Employment (#1) (2016) A video designed to raise expectations for full workforce participation - that work can be a reality for anyone. The target audiences are self-advocates and families.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: System Transformation One Person at a Time: Moving Towards Models of Community Based Employment (#9) (2016) A video showing how to start the conversation about employment coming from the presumption of employability. The presenters are from the State of Minnesota and Dakota County. The target audiences...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: Using the Language of Raised Expectations (#3) (2016) A video emphasizing the power of words, especially when they relate to how employment is defined, addressed, and communicated. The target audiences are self-advocates, parents, educators,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: Work is Worth the Risk: Balancing Opportunity and Safety (#4) (2016) A video acknowledging that balancing health and safety with successful employment activities is not always easy. Incorporating accommodations and customizing work tasks and settings is critical in...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Employment for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A pair of videos and an accompanying brief outlining employment in the general workforce...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Workforce for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A pair of videos and an accompanying brief outlining the need for a better match between the growing demand for a...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Issue Brief: Connecting Employers, Schools, and Youth Through Intermediaries (2002) A brief, written for secondary educators, employers, and disability service providers, addressing the primary issues in promoting the participation of employers in work-based learning experiences...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Policy Research Brief: A Review of Commonly-Used State Employment Measures in Intellectual and Developmental Disability Services (2012) A brief summarizing publicly-available data sources that provide information about the employment of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. It provides important information about...Cost: Free - $3.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Policy Research Brief: Employment First Across the Nation: Progress on the Policy Front (2014) A brief presenting Employment First across the nation through an array of online, interactive visual features that allow users to investigate the various Employment First policy approaches that...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Policy Research Brief: Employment for People with Disabilities in Poverty: A Need for National Attention (2015) A brief investigating poverty and disability. The second in a series, the purpose of this brief is to provide an in-depth national and state understanding about poverty and disability by...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Putting Faith to Work: A Guide for Congregations and Communities (2016) Develops a model and resources for congregations to work together with businesses and human service agencies to advance successful employment outcomes for their members with disabilities. Some...Cost: $10.00 Delivery format: Print
- Putting Faith to Work Website (2013) [Archived]A website presenting the Putting Faith to Work project, which provides customized training, tools, and technical assistance to specific Minnesota faith communities, building their capacity to use...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Supporting Individuals and Families Information Systems Project (FISP) Website (2012) A website presenting documents and resources from this project that gathers data to help federal and state agencies understand the current status and emerging trends in supporting families and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Young American Indian Entrepreneur Curriculum (2010) A curriculum guiding American Indian high school students (grades 9-12) in exploring entrepreneurship as a viable vocation. Based on the content of summer programs for transition-age students held...Cost: $50.00 Delivery format: Print
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars (2016) Latest: I Choose Employment (#1)A series of videos and Webinars developed to deliver positive narratives about competitive integrated employment for individuals with disabilities. In a time of changing systems and services,...
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice (2016) Latest: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilitiesA series of videos and accompanying briefs that grew out of the National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice working meeting held in Washington, DC, in 2015. Participants summarized the current...