Inclusive education, as addressed by the Institute, is the practice of educating students with disabilities in regular classrooms whenever possible and socially integrating them into the school community.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- An Inclusive Service Learning Curriculum for Elementary Learners With and Without Disabilities (2010) An innovative curriculum providing educators and youth workers with a new tool for engaging all elementary-age learners in service learning. Its research-based activities guide instructors in...Cost: $59.00 Delivery format: Print
- Employing, Developing and Directing Special Education Paraprofessionals in Inclusive Education Programs: Findings From a Multi-Site Case Study (2003) [Archived]A report describing the systems that three school districts used to employ, develop, and direct special education paraprofessionals to work effectively in inclusive education programs. Findings...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Educating K-12 English Language Learners with Disabilities (2013) [Archived]A newsletter issue examining the education of English language learners with disabilities, who are a growing part of the K-12 school population in the U.S. The available knowledge on how to...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting the Social Well-Being of Children and Youth with Disabilities (2011) A newsletter issue presenting practical and insightful articles about supporting the social well-being of children and youth with intellectual, developmental and other disabilities in the settings...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Inclusive School Communities for Students with Disabilities: 10 Reasons Why (2003) [Archived]A brochure describing 10 of the benefits to students with and without disabilities, families, teachers, and the school community as a whole. There are many compelling reasons to support inclusive...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000) A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Education for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A pair of videos and an accompanying brief outlining education for people with intellectual and developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Issue Brief: Bullying and Teasing of Youth with Disabilities: Creating Positive School Environments for Effective Inclusion (2003) A brief providing clear definitions of bullying, teasing, and disability harassment. Bullying has been proven by numerous studies to be a serious problem nationwide. Harassment of youth with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Play Time/Social Time (1997) A research-based curriculum guiding instruction for children with and without disabilities, emphasizing social interaction skills and positive patterns of social behavior, using children's natural...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Role of the Paraprofessional (2002) A curriculum introducing the unique needs and learning styles of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders to help paraprofessionals and other educators best meet the needs of these individuals....Cost: $15.00 - $25.00 Delivery format: Print
- Supporting Students With Disabilities in Inclusive Schools: A Curriculum for Job-Embedded Paraprofessional Development (2002) A curriculum supporting special educators in their role of teaching paraprofessionals to work with students with disabilities, focusing on increasing paraprofessional knowledge and skills for...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- The Leadership Factor: A Key to Effective Inclusive High Schools (2001) [Archived]A report describing administrative and other leadership themes associated with four inclusive high schools that are producing exemplary results for students with and without disabilities. School...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice (2016) Latest: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilitiesA series of videos and accompanying briefs that grew out of the National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice working meeting held in Washington, DC, in 2015. Participants summarized the current...