Other cultural groups
The Institute addresses the importance of providing culturally competent supports to people with disabilities and their families from Latino, African American, and other cultural/ethnic communities.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- DD Data Brief: Demographic Characteristics of Persons with MR/DD Living in Their Own Homes or With Family Members (2001) A brief describing people with mental retardation and/or developmental disabilities (MR/ DD) living in the community in terms of demographic characteristics and economic status. Those...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DD Data Brief: Gender, Age, and Disability Differences in Functional Limitations for Non-Institutionalized Adults in the NHIS-D (2004) A brief summarizing findings from the National Health Interview Survey conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, National Center on Health Statistics, in 1994 and 1995, which included a...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DD Data Brief: Health Insurance Coverage and Health Care Experiences of Persons with Disabilities in the NHIS-D (2003) A brief describing the experiences with public and private health insurance coverage for people with functional limitations, people with IDD, and people who do not have IDD or functional...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DD Data Brief: Service Use by and Needs of Adults with Functional Limitations or ID/DD in the NHIS-D: Difference by Age, Gender, and Disability (2003) A brief summarizing findings from the National Health Interview Survey on Disability conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, National Center on Health Statistics in 1994 and 1995. It is an...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- FYI Monthly from the Institute on Community Integration: February 2018 (2018) The February 2018 contains feature stories about the March screening of Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis; a MNLEND...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Employment and Women with Disabilities (2008) A newsletter issue that encourages readers to hold an expansive vision of what's possible for women with disabilities in the employment arena, and offers strategies, resources, and inspiration to...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print, Online
- LEND Brief: ASD and Culture (2015) An issue providing information about how diverse communities view, understand, and experience Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other neurodevelopmental disabilities. A growing body of research in...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- LEND Webinars: Building Connections with Hmong Families: Culturally Competent Approaches to Child Development (2014) A Webinar presenting culturally specific and relevant strategies for professionals working with Hmong families with young children. Cultural views of disability and child development were...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: I Choose Employment (#1) (2016) A video designed to raise expectations for full workforce participation - that work can be a reality for anyone. The target audiences are self-advocates and families.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Minneapolis Somali Autism Spectrum Disorder Prevalence Project: Community Report 2013 (2013) A report of the findings from the study of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) prevalence among Somali and non-Somali children in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Also available, in English and Somali, is a fact...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Raws koj tus menyuam cov theem ntawm nws txoj kev loj hlob (Track Your Child's Developmental Milestones) (2015) A Hmong translation of the English-language original written by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF