Dropout prevention and student engagement
Dropout prevention, as addressed by the Institute, is best achieved through fostering students' engagement in school and with learning so that they become motivated to stay in school.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- Check & Connect: A Comprehensive Student Engagement Intervention: Implementing with Fidelity (2012) A detailed manual for implementing the Check & Connect student engagement intervention. Since 1990 the Check & Connect student engagement intervention has been...Cost: $35.00 - $50.00 Delivery format: Print
- Check & Connect Website (2010) A website presenting Check & Connect, an ICI project that provides training in the use of the Check & Connect student engagement intervention model to promote students' engagement with school,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Expanding the Circle (ETC) Website (2010) A website presenting Expanding the Circle (ETC), an ICI project that delivers a curriculum offering culturally-relevant activities to facilitate the successful transition from high school to...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Journey to Completion: Strategies for Success in High School (2009) A video illustrating the process of the Dropout Prevention, Retention, and Graduation Initiative. In 2005, the Minnesota Department of Education began a pilot project designed to promote school...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000) A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Essential Tools: Increasing Rates of School Completion - Moving From Policy and Research to Practice (2004) A cutting-edge manual for educators, administrators and policymakers describing 11 proven interventions for increasing school completion among youth with disabilities. The interventions selected...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF, Online
- NCSET Issue Brief: Students with Disabilities who Drop Out of School: Implications for Policy and Practice (2002) A brief that uses research-based information defining the problem of an unacceptably high dropout rate for students with disabilities and articulates proven intervention strategies. The brief...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Policy Research Brief: Alternative Schools and the Students They Serve - Perceptions of State Directors of Special Education (2003) [Archived]A brief reporting on findings from interviews conducted with 49 state directors of special education (or their designees). Recent data collected from a national survey estimates that about 12% of...Cost: Free - $3.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print, Online
- Preparing for Life After High School: The Characteristics and Experiences of Youth in Special Education, Volume 3: Comparisons Over Time (2018) A report from the National Longitudinal Transition Study 2012 (NLTS 2012); two earlier reports, Volumes 1 and 2, also relate to this study. The NLTS 2012, which is part of the...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Check & Connect News & Resources (2012) An e-newsletter from the Institute's Check & Connect (C&C) project providing implementation resources, such as recent posts on the C&C "Attend-Engage-Invest" blog, upcoming training opportunities,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription