Consumer/self-direct services are those services, including Medicaid Home and Community Based Services (waiver), where funding is provided to the person who makes their own choices about what types of services to spend those resources on and/or selects the staff who provide those services.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- An Independent Assessment of the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission Voice Review Program (2008) A report on the VOICE program, a person-centered quality assurance system that emphasizes self-determination created by the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission in Southeast Minnesota.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....
- Find, Choose and Keep Great DSPs (2006) A pair of easy-to-use toolkits helping families and people with disabilities find quality, caring, and committeed Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). There are two different versions of the...Cost: Free - $30.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Frontline Initiative: Changing Roles (2002) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals offering various perspectives on effectively supporting individuals with disabilities as they move into their communities, gain control of their...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2018) An issue in the Impact series that discusses the Direct Support workforce and people with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. In the past 40 years, the U.S. has experienced a...Cost: Free - $5.00 Delivery format: Online, Print
- In-Home and Residential Long-Term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities: Status and Trends Through 2016 (2018) A report describing the status of, and trends in, long-term supports and services for people with intellectual or developmental disabilities in the U.S. on June 30, 2016. It is based on an annual...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- LEND Brief: Positive Behavior Support (2014) An issue focusing on person-centered positive behavior support (PBS) and on individuals living in community settings who have benefitted from systematic and longitudinally delivered positive...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Of the Community: Eight Stories of Community Living, Participation, and Inclusion (2015) A film telling the stories of eight individuals with disabilities who have vibrant lives in which they live and participate in their communities in the ways they choose. Their stories illustrate...Cost: $3.99 - $29.99 Delivery format: DVD, Online
- Other Voices: The Minnesota Region 10 Quality Assurance Process (2008) A documentary video describing how stakeholders in southeastern Minnesota, including parents, advocates, and self-advocates, developed an alternative quality assurance process to better respond to...Cost: $25.00 Delivery format: DVD
- Policy Research Brief: Costs and Outcomes of Community Services for Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2004) A brief reviewing available research on the costs and outcomes of community service provision for people with intellectual disabilities (or "mental retardation") and developmental disabilities,...Cost: Free - $3.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Policy Research Brief: Developments in Living Arrangements and Choice for Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2018) A brief examining how living arrangements and choice have changed for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) over the past 10 years. Choice is an important component of...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Policy Research Brief: Implementation of Consumer-Directed Services for Persons With Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities - A National Study (2009) A brief summarizing the results of a national study on the status of consumer-directed services for persons with intellectual or developmental disabilities. The study was conducted at the...Cost: Free - $3.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Policy Research Brief: Residential Setting and Individual Outcomes: An Assessment of Existing National Core Indicators Research (2014) A brief providing states with information to help their new policy and service developments comply with regulatory criteria that the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services specified in March...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Self-Advocacy Online (2012) A multimedia resource providing information important to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that is accessible to all. The content is translated into understandable language...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (RISP) Website (2018) A website presenting the Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities project (RISP), which gathers,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Through Asking the Right Questions... You Can Reach Your Destination (1999) [Archived]A pocket guide containing questions for families and persons with disabilities to ask as they interview residential service providers and decide which are best suited to meet their support needs.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization (2016) A film documenting the social paradigm shift triggered by Wolf Wolfensberger, a professor and change agent who, in the early 1970s, popularized and expanded the principle of normalization of people...Cost: $3.99 - $24.99 Delivery format: Online
- We Get It Done: Working as a Direct Support Professional (2007) A video about and for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) -- service professionals entrusted with the immense responsibility of assisting people with intellectual and other developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- We Have Choices (2010) An award-winning documentary profiling individuals with developmental disabilities across New York state who have used individualized supports in taking greater control of their lives....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription