Recreation and leisure
Recreation and leisure, as addressed by the Institute, is about providing people with disabilities the opportunity to have enjoyable, satisfying, and non-compulsory activities in various settings, particularly side-by-side among their non-disabled peers.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- DD Data Brief: Social Activities of Non-Institutionalized Adults in the NHIS-D: Gender, Age, and Disability Differences (2005) A follow-up brief to issue 3(1) describing the social activities of adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (ID/DD) using the National Health Interview Survey Disability...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Social Capital (2014) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) exploring the importance of social capital in the lives of the people they support. Social capital is the value a person gets from...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Social Inclusion Through Recreation for Persons with Disabilities (2003) [Archived]A newsletter issue proposing that one way to increase the social inclusion of individuals with disabilities is for children, youth and adults with and without disabilities to play together. While...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting the Social Well-Being of Children and Youth with Disabilities (2011) A newsletter issue presenting practical and insightful articles about supporting the social well-being of children and youth with intellectual, developmental and other disabilities in the settings...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Radical Inclusion in the Arts (2011) A video weaving together concepts raised by Changing Landscapes Symposium presenters about artwork created by artists with disabilities and its...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL) website (2014) A website presenting the Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL), a center that conducts a wide range of research, training, and technical assistance and dissemination projects...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- RTC Media website (2010) A website showcasing films about people with disabilities and those who provide support. Also describes the film-making services available through RTC Media.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online