Recreation and leisure
Recreation and leisure, as addressed by the Institute, is about providing people with disabilities the opportunity to have enjoyable, satisfying, and non-compulsory activities in various settings, particularly side-by-side among their non-disabled peers.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- DD Data Brief: Social Activities of Non-Institutionalized Adults in the NHIS-D: Gender, Age, and Disability Differences (2005) A follow-up brief to issue 3(1) describing the social activities of adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (ID/DD) using the National Health Interview Survey Disability...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Social Capital (2014) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) exploring the importance of social capital in the lives of the people they support. Social capital is the value a person gets from...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Social Inclusion Through Recreation for Persons with Disabilities (2003) [Archived]A newsletter issue proposing that one way to increase the social inclusion of individuals with disabilities is for children, youth and adults with and without disabilities to play together. While...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print, Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Supporting the Social Well-Being of Children and Youth with Disabilities (2011) A newsletter issue presenting practical and insightful articles about supporting the social well-being of children and youth with intellectual, developmental and other disabilities in the settings...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, Print, PDF
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Radical Inclusion in the Arts (2011) A video weaving together concepts raised by Changing Landscapes Symposium presenters about artwork created by artists with disabilities and its...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL) Website (2014) A website presenting the Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL), a center that conducts a wide range of research, training, and technical assistance and dissemination projects...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- RTC Media Website (2010) A website showcasing films about people with disabilities and those who provide support. Also describes the film-making services available through RTC Media.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription