Person-centered planning and practices
Person-centered planning and practices focus on and center around the interests and needs of the person being served. They also emphasize the persons strengths and dreams rather than weaknesses or deficits.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- An Independent Assessment of the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission Voice Review Program (2008) A report on the VOICE program, a person-centered quality assurance system that emphasizes self-determination created by the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission in Southeast Minnesota.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Find, Choose and Keep Great DSPs (2006) A pair of easy-to-use toolkits helping families and people with disabilities find quality, caring, and committeed Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). There are two different versions of the...Cost: Free - $30.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Friends: Connecting People with Disabilities and Community Members (2013) A manual providing concrete, "how-to" strategies for supporting relationships between people with disabilities and other community members. It describes why such friendships are important to people...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Initiative: Person-Centered Practices (2017) [New]A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) exploring person-centered practices. This issue of Frontline Initiative brought together voices on what has been happening in this work...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Person-Centered Positive Supports and People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2016) An issue in the newly-redesigned Impact series that shares articles from around the country describing how person-centered positive supports use evidence-based practices in the service of the...Cost: Free - $5.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- LEND Brief: Positive Behavior Support (2014) An issue focusing on person-centered positive behavior support (PBS) and on individuals living in community settings who have benefitted from systematic and longitudinally delivered positive...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: I Choose Employment (#1) (2016) A video designed to raise expectations for full workforce participation - that work can be a reality for anyone. The target audiences are self-advocates and families.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: The Power of Positive Introductions: Connecting with Employers Using Person Centered Thinking Tools (#6) (2016) A video using the tools of Person Centered Thinking to introduce the organization and job seekers. The target audiences are employment consultants and specialists, job coaches, provider agency...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars: Using the Language of Raised Expectations (#3) (2016) A video emphasizing the power of words, especially when they relate to how employment is defined, addressed, and communicated. The target audiences are self-advocates, parents, educators,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Essential Tools: Cultural and Linguistic Diversity - Implications for Transition Personnel (2005) A handbook summarizing current research about transition and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) youth with disabilities. It offers information on how transition personnel can effectively...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Other Voices: The Minnesota Region 10 Quality Assurance Process (2008) A documentary video describing how stakeholders in southeastern Minnesota, including parents, advocates, and self-advocates, developed an alternative quality assurance process to better respond to...Cost: $25.00 Delivery format: DVD
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,000 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL) website (2014) A website presenting the Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC-CL), a center that conducts a wide range of research, training, and technical assistance and dissemination projects...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Self-Advocacy Online (2012) A multimedia resource providing information important to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that is accessible to all. The content is translated into understandable language...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (RISP) website (2012) A website presenting the Study of Medicaid Funded In-home and Residential Long-term Supports and Services for Persons with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities project (RISP), which gathers,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Through Asking the Right Questions... You Can Reach Your Destination (1999) [Archived]A pocket guide containing questions for families and persons with disabilities to ask as they interview residential service providers and decide which are best suited to meet their support needs.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization (2016) A film documenting the social paradigm shift triggered by Wolf Wolfensberger, a professor and change agent who, in the early 1970s, popularized and expanded the principle of normalization of people...Cost: $3.99 - $89.99 Delivery format: Online, DVD
- Make Work a Part of the Plan Videos and Webinars (2016) Latest: I Choose Employment (#1)A series of videos and Webinars developed to deliver positive narratives about competitive integrated employment for individuals with disabilities. In a time of changing systems and services,...