Human resources and management
The Institute addresses how human resources staff can better manage direct support professionals to better serve people with disabilities.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- ANCOR/RTC Realistic Job Preview (2017) A video illustrating the real, everyday work of direct support professionals (DSPs) in the field of developmental disabilities. This job preview is a DSP recruitment strategy designed to give...
- Direct Support Professional Recruitment Toolkit (2004) A resource helping human service employers recruit and retain quality Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). This resource provides tools to create an exciting, dynamic recruitment plan, resulting in...Cost: $25.00 Delivery format: Print
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Final Report: National Training Institute for Frontline Supervisors (2007) [Archived]A report describing a project that refined, tested, and delivered a "Train-the-Trainer" model to the National Training Institute for Frontline Supervisors. The project also provided a distributed...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Find, Choose and Keep Great DSPs (2006) A pair of easy-to-use toolkits helping families and people with disabilities find quality, caring, and committeed Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). There are two different versions of the...Cost: Free - $30.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Frontline Supervisor Assessment (2013) A test helping frontline supervisors and frontline supervisor candidates to evaluate their current performance level and create a self-development plan. Known as the Frontline Supervisor...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Supervisor Structured Behavioral Interview Questions (2013) A set of behavioral and situational interview questions gauging the knowledge of external frontline supervisor candidates about the 11 competencies identified in the *National Frontline Supervisor...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Brief) (2007) A brief summarizing the report, *You Know that it's Got to be Dedication that I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and the...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (DVD) (2007) A documentary film telling the stories of some of the heroic Direct Support Professionals from New Orleans who, despite long hours, low pay, and tremendous stress and trauma, continued to provide...Cost: $49.00 Delivery format: DVD
- National Frontline Supervisor Competencies (2013) A nationally validated set of 11 competency areas, known as the National Frontline Supervisor Competencies, guiding the work of frontline supervisors in the direct support workforce.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- National Validation Study of Competencies For Frontline Supervisors and Direct Support Professionals (2007) A report examining organizational workforce outcomes; characteristics of and differences between managers, Frontline Supervisors (FLS) and Direct Support Professionals (DSPs); and workplace...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Partnerships for Success - Curricula for Supervisors, Managers, and Administrative Staff: Removing the Revolving Door - Strategies to Address Recruitment and Retention Challenges (2001) [Archived]A curriculum targeting frontline supervisors and managers regarding the use of effective recruitment, retention, and training strategies. Includes Facilitator Guide and Learner Guide.Cost: Free - $65.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Partnerships for Success - Curricula for Supervisors, Managers, and Administrative Staff: The Peer Empowerment Program (PEP): A Complete Toolkit for Planning and Implementing Mentoring Programs Within Community-Based Human Services Organizations (2001) [Archived]A planning guide and curriculum for supervisors and agency staff focusing on socialization and skill development for all employees. Includes Program Coordinator Guide, Facilitator Guide, and...Cost: Free - $37.00 Delivery format: PDF, Print
- Partnerships for Success - Curricula for Supervisors, Managers, and Administrative Staff: The Power of Diversity: Supporting the Immigrant Workforce (2001) [Archived]A curriculum helping supervisors and other agency staff find, support, and retain immigrant workers. Includes Facilitator Guide and Learner Guide.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Policy Research Brief: Wages of Direct Support Professionals Serving Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities - A Survey of State Agencies and Private Residential Provider Trade Associations (2003) [Archived]A brief summarizing the results of a survey of state agencies administering services for persons with intellectual disabilities and developmental disabilities (ID/DD) and state-level residential...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- Quality Supports, Quality Lives (2010) A DVD illustrating the need for and importance of the work of Direct Support Professionals (DSP), while also highlighting some of the barriers faced by DSPs, such as low pay, lack of affordable...Cost: $30.00 Delivery format: DVD
- Staff Recruitment, Retention, & Training Strategies for Community Human Services Organizations (2012) A 15-chapter textbook and how-to-guide helping organizations to select and implement strategies that address the challenges of recruiting, retaining, and training Direct Support Professionals.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- We Get It Done: Working as a Direct Support Professional (2007) A video about and for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) -- service professionals entrusted with the immense responsibility of assisting people with intellectual and other developmental...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- You Know That it's Got to be Dedication That I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and Aftermath (2007) A report describing the experiences of Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) who worked in New Orleans between August 2005 and May 2006 - before, during, and after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Connections (2011) An e-newsletter announcing news, courses, and events from DirectCourse and its College of Direct Support, College of Employment Services, College of Personal Assistance and Caregiving, and College...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription
- Frontline Initiative (1996 – 2017) Latest: Person-Centered PracticesThis newsletter covers the issues important to direct support professionals and supervisors who support people with IDD and other disabilities in a variety of community settings.
- Partnerships for Success - Curricula for Supervisors, Managers, and Administrative Staff (2001) [Archived]Latest: Removing the Revolving Door - Strategies to Address Recruitment and Retention ChallengesA three-part curriculum series preparing frontline supervisors to successfully recruit, train, and retain Direct Support staff. The materials have been developed to be facilitated by staff trainers...
- Road Map of Core Competencies for the Direct Service Workforce (2011 – 2014) Latest: Phase III-B: Road Map of Core Competencies for the Direct Service Workforce Project ValidationA series of reports identifying a common set of core competencies across community-based long-term services and supports sectors: aging, behavioral health (including mental health and substance...