Civil rights, as addressed by the Institute, are efforts to ensure that the rights of people with disabilities expressly enumerated by the U.S. Constitution are upheld.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- An Independent Assessment of the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission Voice Review Program (2008) A report on the VOICE program, a person-centered quality assurance system that emphasizes self-determination created by the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission in Southeast Minnesota.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....
- Dogged Determination: An Anthology of the 1957 Law Requiring Education for Handicapped Children in Minnesota's Public Schools -- A First in the Nation (2017) A history of Minnesota's pioneering 1957 law that required special education in the state's public schools for children with disabilities who were considered educable. Evelyn Deno (1911-2005), a...Cost: $19.48 Delivery format: Print
- Frontline Initiative: Legislative Advocacy (2002) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals offering various perspectives on effectively supporting individuals with disabilities by advocating for them and their issues through the...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Initiative: Social Capital (2014) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) exploring the importance of social capital in the lives of the people they support. Social capital is the value a person gets from...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Frontline Initiative: Tribute to John F. Kennedy, Jr. (1999) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals offering a tribute to John F. Kennedy, Jr. (1960-1999), a great advocate for individuals with disabilities.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- FYI Monthly from the Institute on Community Integration: July 2018 (2018) [New]FYI Monthly is a monthly e-communication from the Institute on Community Integration. The July 2018 edition includes: FEATURE STORIES New Director and New 5-Year Funding for ICI *... Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Global Resource Center for Inclusive Education (GRC) Website (2008) A website presenting the center's efforts to assist non-governmental organizations, international development organizations, and national education agencies in the systemic improvement of education...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on the ADA and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2015) A newsletter issue marking the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In this Impact are articles by individuals with disabilities, families, advocates, service providers...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Online, PDF, Print
- Impact: Feature Issue on the Justice System and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2017) An issue in the Impact series that discusses unique and serious challenges people with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities often face with the juvenile and criminal justice systems.Cost: Free - $5.00 Delivery format: Online, Print
- Leadership in the History of the Developmental Disabilities Movement Wiki (2011) An interactive multi-media database that profiles key leaders in the developmental disabilities movement through video presentations and wiki articles.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000) A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Goals in Research, Policy, and Practice: Justice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (2016) A pair of videos and an accompanying brief outlining how people with intellectual and developmental disabilities face...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Of the Community: Eight Stories of Community Living, Participation, and Inclusion (2015) A film telling the stories of eight individuals with disabilities who have vibrant lives in which they live and participate in their communities in the ways they choose. Their stories illustrate...Cost: $3.99 - $29.99 Delivery format: DVD, Online
- Policy Research Brief: The U.N. Convention on The Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): A Status Report (2015) A brief reviewing which countries have signed and/or ratified the United Nations (U.N.) Convention on The Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). About 10% of the world's population lives with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- RTC Media Website (2010) A website showcasing films about people with disabilities and those who provide support. Also describes the film-making services available through RTC Media.Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Self-Advocacy Online (2012) A multimedia resource providing information important to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that is accessible to all. The content is translated into understandable language...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization (2016) A film documenting the social paradigm shift triggered by Wolf Wolfensberger, a professor and change agent who, in the early 1970s, popularized and expanded the principle of normalization of people...Cost: $3.99 - $24.99 Delivery format: Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription, Print subscription