The Institute addresses the importance of equipping professionals to deliver services to people with disabilities and/or those at-risk, and their families, in a culturally sensitive and appropriate manner.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- Expanding the Circle (ETC) Website (2010) A website presenting Expanding the Circle (ETC), an ICI project that delivers a curriculum offering culturally-relevant activities to facilitate the successful transition from high school to...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Diversity (2000) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals offering various perspectives on effectively supporting diverse individuals with disabilities.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- FYI Monthly from the Institute on Community Integration: February 2018 (2018) The February 2018 contains feature stories about the March screening of Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis; a MNLEND...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- LEND Brief: ASD and Culture (2015) An issue providing information about how diverse communities view, understand, and experience Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other neurodevelopmental disabilities. A growing body of research in...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- LEND Webinars: Building Connections with Hmong Families: Culturally Competent Approaches to Child Development (2014) A Webinar presenting culturally specific and relevant strategies for professionals working with Hmong families with young children. Cultural views of disability and child development were...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- LEND Webinars: Cultural Competence in ASD Assessment and Diagnosis (2013) A Webinar discussing the opportunities and challenges providing ASD assessments and supports across cultures. Understanding culture plays a critical role in interpreting behavior in both the...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF
- National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) Website (2000) A website presenting NCEO, which is a federally-funded technical assistance center that supports states and districts on issues related to inclusive assessments, particularly for students with...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) Website (2001) A website presenting NCSET, a center that focuses on improved access and success for students with disabilities in secondary and postsecondary education, as well as employment, independent living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- NCSET Essential Tools: Cultural and Linguistic Diversity - Implications for Transition Personnel (2005) A handbook summarizing current research about transition and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) youth with disabilities. It offers information on how transition personnel can effectively...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online, PDF