Consumer/self-direct services are those services, including Medicaid Home and Community Based Services (waiver), where funding is provided to the person who makes their own choices about what types of services to spend those resources on and/or selects the staff who provide those services.
The following Institute products, projects, and/or staff address this topic.
- An Independent Assessment of the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission Voice Review Program (2008) A report on the VOICE program, a person-centered quality assurance system that emphasizes self-determination created by the Region 10 Quality Assurance Commission in Southeast Minnesota.Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- DirectCourse (2004) Offers a suite of competency-based, online curricula for professionals providing services to people with intellectual, developmental, physical, and psychiatric disabilities, and to older adults....Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative Webinar: NADSP Looks Deeper: Choice, Direction, and Control (2018) A companion webinar to the Frontline Initiative issue titled, "Choice, Direction, and Control". Host John Raffaele, Director of...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Frontline Initiative: Choice, Direction, and Control (2017) A newsletter issue for Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) encouraging the people they support to exercise choice, direction, and control over their lives. DSPs also support people who have...Cost: Free Delivery format: PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on Stories of Advocacy, Stories of Change from People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Allies (1988-2013) (2014) A newsletter issue featuring then-and-now personal stories from individuals with disabilities, their families, and allies that provide a snapshot of how the disability rights movement has touched...Cost: Free - $4.00 Delivery format: Print, Online, PDF
- Impact: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities (2018) [New]An issue in the Impact series that discusses the Direct Support workforce and people with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. In the past 40 years, the U.S. has experienced a...Cost: Free - $5.00 Delivery format: Print
- Policy Research Brief: Developments in Living Arrangements and Choice for Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2018) [New]A brief examining how living arrangements and choice have changed for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) over the past 10 years. Choice is an important component of...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Policy Research Brief: State of the States in Self-Direction for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2015) (2017) A brief describing how self-directed long-term services and supports (LTSS) are currently implemented in the United States. Self-direction provides individuals with intellectual and/or...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Quality Mall (2004) An interactive database providing an online clearinghouse of over 3,500 resources from around the country related to person-centered services and supports for persons with intellectual and...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Self-Advocacy Online (2012) A multimedia resource providing information important to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that is accessible to all. The content is translated into understandable language...Cost: Free Delivery format: Online
- Valuing Lives: Wolf Wolfensberger and the Principle of Normalization (2016) A film documenting the social paradigm shift triggered by Wolf Wolfensberger, a professor and change agent who, in the early 1970s, popularized and expanded the principle of normalization of people...Cost: $3.99 - $24.99 Delivery format: Online
- Impact (2000 – 2018) [New]Latest: Feature Issue on the Direct Support Workforce and People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other DisabilitiesA newsletter series containing strategies, research, and success stories in specific focus areas related to persons with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities. It provides practical...Cost: Free Delivery format: Print subscription, Email subscription
- Quality Mall Newsletter (2004) An e-newsletter containing news and updates about resources carried on the QualityMall.org Web site. QualityMall.org, operated by the Institute's Research and Training Center on Community Living,...Cost: Free Delivery format: Email subscription